York Catholic District School Board
Aurora, King, Whitchurch,StouffvilleNumber of Available Seats: 1
Elizabeth CROWEElectedAbout Me:
Trustee since 1994, Chair of the Board 19 years
P.Eng, M.Eng, B.Eng (with Minor in Business)
Al ITWARAbout Me:
• Former Toronto Police Officer
• Former Army reservist
• First Generation Canadian
• Father of two elementary age children attending York Catholic District School …Board
• Spouse to a Specialist Medical Physician practicing in York Region More
East Gwillimbury, Georgina, NewmarketNumber of Available Seats: 1
Markham Wards 1,2,3 & 6Number of Available Seats: 1
Carol COTTONElectedAbout Me:
I have been a passionate and diligent Trustee in York Catholic DSB for over 25 years and a past Director on the Ontario Catholic School Trustee Association for over 10 years. My key priorities are:
1. …To promote, preserve and protect publically funded Catholic Education in Ontario.
2. To develop and implement additional Mental Health supports and initiatives throughout the Board.
3. To ensure that parent and student voice is encouraged and valued.
4. To demand fiscal accountability and seek new efficiencies in order to maximize resource allocation to the classroom level.
5. To provide safe and caring schools that foster student success, inclusivity and service to others. More
Markham Wards 4,5,7 & 8Number of Available Seats: 1
James BUSHAbout Me:
The students of the Catholic School Board ALL deserve a quality Christ centered education with those who have special needs to be given the extra support they need to be able to live up to the fullest …potential they are able to achieve.
I have lived in Markham almost entirely since 1981. As a self employed legal advocate for approximately 30 years I know how to make use of the voice that God has blessed me with.
Community/School Board Schooling
A former student of the board at St. Josephs Elementary School, Kateri Tekakwitha, Brother Andre C.H.S., and Cardinal Carter C.H.S. in Aurora.
I am known as a community-service-minded, dedicated, involved, and faithful.
The following is a non exhaustive list of my community involvement:
Church and Faith Based Involvement- St. Patrick's Markham
- Active member of the Knights of Columbus since 2004
- Served on the executive consul of the Knights of Columbus Volunteered at all Knights of Columbus events such as the Markham Fair Knights Columbus food booth, both Main Street festivals, St. Patrick's annual church picnic, selling raffle tickets for various causes, the Holdem Poker Charity Tournament
- Usher Captain since 2005
- Active in the Right the Life Campaign
- Former representative on the Markham Prayer Breakfast committee
- Volunteer at St Josephs Elementary school- Grade 2 and 3
Other Community Involvement
- Served on the Markham Canada Day Committee
- Volunteer at the Markham Stouffville Hospital School tours program
- Markham Stouffville fundraiser Hip-Hip-Horay More
Euphrashia RAJAINDRAAbout Me:
I am a parishioner of St. Patrick's Parish. I worked for 38 years as a Quality Controller Chemist/Scientist in the Pharmaceutical Industry, ensuring quality and safety of medicines manufactured in Canada. …I am retired now and want to continue to live a purpose driven life, to give back to my Catholic community.
I am a parent who had my own concerns when my two children were attending school, and would like to be an advocate for parents who have any suggestions or concerns regarding their children’s education in the Catholic School system.
I know God has a purpose for me and I hope to use my talents and experience to inspire, guide and be a part of the Catholic Education. More
Richmond HillNumber of Available Seats: 2
Glencia BROOKES-DOS SANTOSAbout Me:
My name is Glencia Brookes-Dos Santos. I have lived in York Region for about 34 years; the last 17 years have been in Richmond Hill. Since immigrating to this country at age 15, I worked diligently to …achieve my goals. That determination helped me through nursing school at George Brown College and later on I continued my education at York University where I earned a BA in Health Studies and a BScN. A few years later I earned a Masters in Biblical Studies in Biblical Counselling from Master’s International University of Divinity formerly Master’s Graduate School of Divinity.
My husband David and I have three children, one of which we adopted in 1997. Our adopted child was featured as “Today’s Child” in the Toronto Star, and upon seeing the featured article about her; I felt the urge to do something and received the full support of my family.
Giving back to my community has always been a significant part of my DNA. Over the years I did volunteer work with the Catholic Children’s Aid Society, and more recently with Prison Fellowship Canada, and Global Medic, and I am also a longstanding volunteer at my Church.
Early on as a parent, I realized the importance of staying connected and engaged with my children to foster their learning and realize their potential. In their junior years, my children attended elementary school at Blessed Scalabrini in Thornhill, St. Paul and St. Nickolas in Newmarket, and are high school graduates of Cardinal Carter, Sacred Heart and Saint Theresa of Lisieux. It pleases me to say that I am the proud mom of two “Ontario Scholar” designates. I strongly believe that every child should have the opportunity to learn, discover their talents, and achieve all they can to the best of their abilities. Now that I have taken this step and submitted my name as a candidate for School Trustee in York Catholic District School Board, I hope to engage myself as an advocate for quality public education and support strategies that foster growth for all students.
The COVID-19 pandemic has been the source of many challenges for our students and parents alike. It is imperative that these issues are looked at and strategies implemented to help those students who may have fallen behind due to the many pandemic-related difficulties they had to navigate through. I believe we have yet to see the full effects of the COVID-19 pandemic as it relates to issues such as social anxiety and mental health that could have a negative impact on our students’ lives. School boards must remain cognizant of these matters and take proactive measures to mitigate risk. Our students are the future; they deserve the support of the community to stand with them to deliver the best quality public education that prepares them to become the leaders of tomorrow.
In my career as a registered nurse, I was fortunate to take on different roles; moving from the bedside as a critical care nurse to a variety of leadership and management roles in acute care, long-term care, the non-hospital care sector and education. Throughout my career, I have gained insights and knowledge that has fostered my ability to engage and work collaboratively at a leadership level. I believe that these experiences will enable me to advocate, work with our community partners, and participate in decisions that support students.
As a proud resident of Richmond Hilll, I h and York Region to a larger extent, I have witnessed the transformation of Richmond Hill to a more diverse and vibrant community. There is no doubt that we live in one of the best cities in the country. To that end, it would be an honour and great privilege to serve as a school trustee for the Catholic School Board. There are no issues that cannot be resolved when work is done by a group of cohesive and respectful individuals who stand accountable to serve in the best interest of the communities.
I decided to run because York Region and Richmond Hill is where I lived with my family for many years, and where my children attended public education. One way of caring for the community is by getting involved in ways that would make a positive difference. When the community is cared for we all succeed. I stand to represent the community on a platform of quality public education, diversity and to advocate for the things that raises us to greater heights.
I will embrace and champion diversity by first engaging the different communities to understand the issues from their perspective, knowing that one shoe does not fit all. That is to ensure that everyone feels connected and heard. I also believe that it is important that members of the community resources that are available to them.
My top three issues are; Inclusivity, access and accountability. More
Gina DE CAIRES
Joe DIMEOElectedAbout Me:
I was always taught if you want to change something you need to step up, put your name forward to start the change needed. It’s time we put more parents on the board who want to make the important decisions …affecting our kids and schools while promoting Catholic values and celebrating our Catholic virtues.
Joseph's Community Involvement:
• Past Council Chair & Treasurer
• Active member of the Richmond Hill Community Richmond Hill Soccer Club, Coach
• Community Involvement & Charity, 2011-Present More
Vaughan Ward 1Number of Available Seats: 1
Teresa CIARAVELLAAbout Me:
I have the passion to help the students and families of YCDSB. I am very committed to our Catholic students, to their achievement and well-being. I believe in our Catholic Education system, and I am honoured …and humbled to have been the voice of the Maple and Kleinburg communities since 2003. In my many years as Trustee, I spearheaded and supported many initiatives that have benefited YCDSB students, their families, and staff. As a passionate and committed Trustee, the success of each student and our schools is paramount to me. I remain a strong advocate for promoting Catholicity in our schools and increasing Catholic taxpayers' support. I take great pride in having been an active member in the greater school community throughout Vaughan for more than 30 years.
- New Catholic Elementary School in Kleinburg, Pope Francis CES, in 2016
- Establishment of an Early Learning Centre in Maple
- Advanced Placement Program at St. Joan of Arc CHS
- Host annual Catholicity and Literacy and Numeracy Workshops for Parents
- Increase enrolment of our French Immersion Program
- Instrumental in improving student safety through school yard improvements (St. James and Holy Jubilee CES)
- Keeping parents informed through my monthly “Trustee Corner"
Active Committee Member of
- Holy Spirit Portuguese Group at St. David's Parish
- Catholic Women's Society-CWS
- Parkinson SuperWalk Vaughan
- Active volunteer at St. David's Parish and St. Andre Bessette Parish
- Accommodation/Corporate Services, Chair 2013-2018
- Policy Review Committee, Chair- 2010-2018
- Integration of Catholic Faith
- Student Success and Pathways
- Special Education Advisory
- York Catholic Parent Involvement
In the next four-year term, I will be committed to:
- Having a Full-Time Chaplain in all YCDSB Secondary Schools
- Improving Transportation Service to allow students to ride the bus along with their eligible siblings
- Advocating for the construction of a Catholic High School in the Kleinburg/Northern Woodbridge area
- Review the boundaries for Pope Francis Catholic Elementary School
- Restoring school driveways and fields that need repair
- Advocating for greater access to resources and programs for Students with Exceptionalities More
Angela SAGGESEElectedAbout Me:
For over 20 years, Vaughan has been my home, my place of work, my place of worship and my community. As an educator of 33 years, I've taught in all divisions and many disciplines. I have had many roles; …teacher mentor, department head of Religious studies, Chair of the department heads of Religious studies at the board, member of a writing team at the board, counsellor and member of Adult Faith development at my local parish and mother of 3 children. Catholic Faith has been an integral part of who I am and what I represent. Together, as a community, we are all united in Christ's Ministry and must model Christ centered values in all that we do. It is my lifelong goal to continue to instill Catholic values in all the decisions that are made for the future of our children and our community growth.
I am ready to continue my vocation by applying my many years of educational experience to advocating for the voices of students and their families in our community. More
Vaughan Ward 2Number of Available Seats: 1
Vaughan Ward 3,4 & 5Number of Available Seats: 2
Peter DE QUINTAL
Jennifer WIGSTONElectedAbout Me:
I am committed to serving students and families with integrity, positivity, enthusiasm and compassion.
We have an incredible gift in Catholic education. In order to help promote and preserve it, …I celebrate student success at every opportunity.
I invest significant time to be active at the school, parish and community levels, working hard to ensure I am accessible to families.
As a Trustee and as a parent of YCDSB students, I am always looking for ways to both enhance our children’s education and increase their access to opportunities.
As your Catholic School Board Trustee, I will continue to:
- have clear and open communication with parents
- ensure decisions are made with our children's well-being (physical, intellectual and spiritual) in mind
- use resources effectively and efficiently so all students have access to the best education possible
- promote the achievements of YCDSB students, staff, schools and programs
- lobby for Special Education resources to fully and appropriately support all students
- facilitate events that strengthen the relationships with our Catholic partners
- advocate for equitable transportation funding More