Durham Catholic District School Board
AjaxNumber of Available Seats: 2
Auguste DEONARINEAbout Me:
As someone who has been a resident of Ajax for over 30 years, as well as attending primary and secondary schools in the DCDSB, and whose children continue in the DCDSB, I am deeply vested in the success …of the DCDSB. I believe this ongoing involvement with the Board is key for any candidate running to be trustee and should be considered by all voters.
Thank you to the Durham Elementary and Secondary OECTA - Ontario English Catholic Teachers Association for their endorsement of my candidacy for Trustee in the Durham Catholic District School Board ! More
Marisa HALLElectedAbout Me:
I care deeply about community and collaboration. I am a product of the Ontario Catholic School system and I believe catholic education has shaped who I am today.
I am a community developer, a systems …thinker and an advocate. I’ve dedicated my entire professional career to community/organizational development, capacity building, collaboration and advocacy. I have worked in various communities across the GTA managing collaboratives that focus on systems level work.
My experience ranges from organizational leadership and development to diversity and cultural competence across three different regions: Toronto, Peel and Durham.
Currently, I am the Director of Engagement at a Durham Region developmental services agency. This agency is a charitable organization offering opportunities for personal growth, community inclusion and empowerment to people with developmental disabilities and their families.
I hold a Masters degree in Public Policy and Administration (MPPA) from Ryerson University with a focus on health and social policy. I also hold a Specialist HBA in Political Science from the University of Toronto.
I spend her free time working with the parent council of my children’s school helping to build a positive and welcoming school community. More
Alban MENDONCAAbout Me:
Vote for Alban Mendonca
For Durham Region Catholic School Board Trustee
Advance Voting: October 17 to October 23, 2022
Polling day: October 24, 2022 – 8 am to 8 pm.
Previous …Political Experience:
Been a Vice President – Organizing for Federal Liberal Party in Scarborough East riding. Also volunteered alongside Raymond Cho, Toronto Councillor (Current MPP – Scarborough North)) during his campaign period.
Why did you decide to Run:
My wife and I are strong practising Catholics associated at St. Bernadette's Parish Ajax. My 2 sons and their wives are practising Catholics as well. My 4 grandchildren are or soon will be attending Catholic Schools in the Durham Region. I have strong faith-based family values that have carried over to my children. Given my grandchildren are a part of the Durham Catholic Board system I have a vested interest in representing parents, grandparents and all participants in the education system.
How will you embrace Diversity in this role?
I was born and raised in Mumbai, India. It is the largest and longest-living democracy in the world. We had 11 religions and 17 languages with their script and over 3000 dialects. We all lived like brothers and sisters and one big family.
Remember the famous saying “Each one for himself and God for all". At the same time, one should not force their ideology, philosophy and thinking onto another person. Respect the other person and Respect has to be earned and not demanded. Having said that I embrace diversity and respect all human beings and their values and choices. I am a visible minority and have firsthand experienced the effects of individuals who do not accept diversity.
How Active are you in Catholic Church:
I have been associated with the Knights of Columbus for over 14 years. (ie 4 years at St. Thomas More, Scarborough, 10 years with St. Patricks in Markham and 3 years with St. Isaac Jogues in Pickering). My wife Odette and myself were involved as facilitators in the Marriage Preparation course in St. Barnabas, Scarborough. I have been involved in the Hospitality Ministry in St. Barnabas, Scarborough; St. Thomas More, Scarborough and St. Patricks' in Markham.
To quote Pope Francis “Pope Francis has been billed as the most progressive Pope in history. He has made pronouncements in favour of respecting people who are LGBTQ, stating in 2013, "If someone is gay and he searches for the Lord and has good will, who am I to judge?"
What are the top 3 issues I shall focus on:
1. A trustee's role is to maintain a focus on student achievement, well-being and equity and to participate in making decisions that benefit the board's entire jurisdiction while representing the interests of its constituents. Trustees must also communicate the views and decisions of the board back to their constituents.
This is not as simple as it sounds. Because Ontario is large and diverse, the job of the school board trustee varies widely.
2. A trustee is responsible for identifying the needs and priorities of their community and for ensuring these are considered in the decisions that result in practical educational opportunities for students. In doing so,
3. The trustees must consider conflicting interests and values. A trustee must do this in collaboration with the other members of the school board by developing policies that work for all students, and ensuring they are implemented effectively. It is the local trustee who makes sure that the community has a direct way to express it. Try and mitigate the “bullying" in the school.
If Elected what will you plan to achieve in the first 100 days?
• If possible go and meet all the Principals of Catholic Schools in the City of Ajax.
• Find out what are the gaps/obstacles the teaching community is facing.
• And then take these points back to other Trustees and discuss and get back to the school
• Prioritize the needs of the parents and work towards addressing them.
• Meet with parents in each one of the wards (with the help of local parishes) to understand the legacy challenges faced by parents and what they expect from the Trustee
• I will also promptly return all calls I receive which has been an issue for parents with my predecessors
Basic Principles in My life:
• Religious Values
• Family Values
• Educational Values
Please do not forget To VOTE for Alban Mendonca On October 24, 2022
I promise and also Deliver.
Alban Mendonca More
Township of Brock, Scugog, UxbridgeNumber of Available Seats: 1
OshawaNumber of Available Seats: 2
PickeringNumber of Available Seats: 1
WhitbyNumber of Available Seats: 2
Robert DE SOUZAElected
Janelle EMANUELElectedAbout Me:
I am a lifelong Durham Region resident, graduate of the DCDSB and the mom of a brand new DCDSB kindergarten student. I am committed to seeing the Board foster and emit inclusivity, equity and accountability. …Although I’m new to public life, I am not new to finding the solutions, collaborating and providing community support to make things happen. More